Many of us mistakenly assume that our acne will fade away as we age out of the teenage years, only to wake up one day with a breakout or cystic acne around “that time of the month.” According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne affects more than 50 percent of women between the ages of 20 and 29, and affects over 25 percent of women ages 40 to 49.
It’s important to remember these statistics when you’re having a hormonal breakout – it’s completely normal, and many women experience it! However, acne can still be a pain during an already rough week, and though you may not be able to completely get rid of it, there are a few things that can help reduce the appearance of a hormonal breakout. Here are a few:
- Avoid dairy and processed sugars around the time of your breakout. Dairy adds more hormones to the mix, and sugars can spike insulin levels – both leading to an increase in acne.
- Start by pulling the impurities out of your skin using a product, like our Purifying Mud Mask, before “that time of the month.” Doing this before the breakouts happen will help prevent them – keeping you from irritating a breakout with scrubs and products after they appear.
- Use a gentle cleaner, like our Softening Cleansing Milk, daily during breakouts to reduce irritation while still washing away the day’s dirt and oil.
- Relax! Stress can cause a decrease in sleep and affect your other hormones, causing even worse acne during a hormonal breakout. Be sure you are getting enough sleep and relaxation during the day, and try setting time aside for either meditation or a bath to just breathe.
- Remember to stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and move your body through exercise or yoga – this is important for any type of breakout!
We are always excited to share the joy of health and beauty with our customers. Visit our online store or give us a call at 757-842-6350 to talk to us about Bloom Mineral Beauty products.